Industry: Renewable Energy
Job Number: 21741
Our client is leading national engineering, financing, design, construction, operation, and maintenance firm concentrating on the development of solar and energy storage systems for the commercial, utility, and public sectors, seeks a Senior Electrical Engineer to join our clients team in Massachusetts.
Teamwork, integrity, a passion for sustainable energy, and an ability to generate and manage change is what drives our company’ s success. We are seeking an experienced, motivated and well-organized professional whose dedication and leadership will help propel the company to achieve its most important goals.
About the Position: As a Senior Electrical Engineer, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with a team of experienced design engineers and project managers providing design, review and approval of the electrical engineering scope of work for a wide range of commercial, government and utility solar PV projects ranging in size from 500kW to multi-MW. You will provide technical oversight and expertise during the design and construction of projects, working with a team of motivated engineers on projects in both PV and the burgeoning field of energy storage.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide technical oversight and peer review of commercial, government and utility solar PV projects designed by design engineers.
- Work with local utilities and AHJs to expedite project approvals and ensure designs meet all requirements for interconnection and operation.
- Assist in cost reduction and value engineering efforts to ensure quality, safety, and code-compliance is maintained while driving down the cost of installation.
- Manage the electrical QA/QC of completed and in-progress projects, including coordination of site visits, processing RFIs and submittals, and support for project commissioning and start-up testing.
- Develop project-specific calculations and system modeling to verify or determine conductor sizing, short-circuit analysis, arc flash hazard, overcurrent coordination, etc.
- Perform design and site report reviews for EE I and EE II projects
- Owner of Electrical Engineering engineering tools (e.g. detail library, EE specs, templates, SOPs, design tool, etc)
- Participate in corporate strategic initiatives
Desired Skills and Experience:
- 5-10+ years of PV experience. Candidates with little or no solar experience are expected to dive into learning solar engineering design and become a subject matter experts to support their team.
- Bachelor’ s Degree in Electrical Engineering
- PE certification preferred. EIT with a path to PE certification will also be considered.
- Strong NEC knowledge and exhibited experience in building electrical systems and design, including sizing and specifying electrical service equipment, transformers, metering equipment, protective relaying and/or overcurrent devices, cable, conduit, switchboards, and panel boards.
- Advanced knowledge of electrical principles including ohm' s law, 3-phase power, voltage drop, power factor, electrical fault types. Fundamental knowledge of electrical principles including effecting grounding, transformer theory, and grid integration.
- Experience with performing load calculations, short-circuit, and coordination studies. SKM (or similar) software proficiency preferred.
- Experience in witness testing and site commissioning is preferred
- Demonstrated experience with utility networks and an ability to act as the main technical contact to utilities for interconnection approval of parallel generation systems.
- Experience drafting or reviewing engineering services contracts.
- Experience in SCADA and protection system design is preferred.
- Experience in medium voltage system design of 4kV to 115kV is preferred
- Ability to work independently and effectively with project managers, clients, consulting engineers, design, and technical personnel as well as product vendors and manufacturing partners.
- Must be confident and possess the ability to substantiate code interpretations and mathematically prove design concepts.
- Ability to effectively communicate design concepts and lead meetings between clients, project engineers, code officials and third party consultants.
Our client' s approach to compensating employees is unique and progressive. They offer a workplace that is casual, upbeat and hard working. They strive for quality workmanship and place a large emphasis on customer satisfaction and education. They promote from within and are looking for career-minded individuals, looking to advance in the growing solar industry. They offer great pay commensurate with experience along with excellent benefits including:
- Competitive base salary
• Potential for bonuses
• Comprehensive benefits package including dental, vision, health, life, and disability insurance
• Self-managed flexible work schedules and time-off policies
• 401(k) plan with company match and immediate vesting
• Continuing education and professional development assistance
Equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetics, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal and local laws. In addition to federal law requirements, complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.